Experimental Stitching: Cloth Face Wipes

Posted on


eternal magpie reusable face wipes

A friend got in touch this week and asked whether I'd thought about making re-usable face wipes out of the scraps of my dressmaking fabrics. 

The short answer was yes, I'd thought about it... but I hadn't got any further than that because I didn't want to buy any new towelling fabric to make something that was supposed to be using up leftover bits! Then I remembered that I had an old towel stashed away for exactly this purpose, so I thought I'd give it a go and make a few experimental ones to try out for myself.

The top side is leftover fabric from an old cotton duvet that I chopped up to make a dress, back in January. I decided to make them square because it seemed slightly wasteful to cut the corners off to turn them into circles... but I think that circles would have been quicker to sew, and used a bit less thread. I'm also not very good at turning corners on my overlocker, so some of them aren't very neat and tidy. I added the fancy topstiching simply because my machine has embroidery stitches and I don't often get to use them, so it seemed like a nice thing to do. Again, I'm not very good at turning corners, so a lot of these are pretty wonky! But they're just for me, to see how they are to use and wash, so I don't mind too much. 

My main thought so far is oh my goodness the fluff! Sewing towelling is even worse for fluff than velvet, and I didn't think that was possible. But they were fairly quick and easy to make, and I'll report back on how they are to use as soon as I've tried them out. 

Add a comment:

Leave a comment:


Add a comment