RSS Feed

  1. eternal magpie custom orders: Verity's duvet dress

    This lovely nostalgic dress is made from Verity's childhood duvet cover which, in its turn, was made by Verity's mother using a pair of utterly fabulous sheets. 

    Unearthed from its home of many years in the attic, Verity sent it to me and asked for it to be transformed into a dress with a matching sash belt. 

    eternal magpie custom orders: Verity's duvet dress in progress

    After a brief moment of nervousness when I showed this photo on Instagram, Verity soon recovered: 

    "'s just occurred to me I'm going to be literally wrapped in my childhood duvet... how comforting will that be?!"

    Isn't that lovely? 

    I always want my dresses to be comfortable, but I hadn't really thought about them being comforting as well. I'm looking forward to hearing from Verity once she's had a chance to try on her new dress - I hope that being wrapped in her childhood duvet lives up to her expectations!

  2. eternal magpie custom physics corset - front

    This was such a fun project to work on! Dott shares my love of silly fabrics, and as a Physics Professor, she couldn't resist this fantastic SCIENCE print. On the side panels, the little stars glow in the dark. What could be more fun than that? 

    eternal magpie custom science print corset

    This was a bit of an experiment (pun sort of intended) to see whether I wanted to venture into making corsets again this year. I already had Dott's pattern from a corset I made for her about ten years ago. It only needed a little bit of updating, so it was a really good place to start.  

    It turned out to be snowing on the day the corset arrived at its new home, but that didn't stop Dott from going outside and having her photo taken! Even better, the corset turned out to match a skirt that Dott had made already - a black one with panels of a multicoloured blackboard print. 

    I'm still deciding whether or not I'm going to be making any corsets for the shop, but I'm definitely very pleased that I had the opportunity to make this one! 

  3. organic cotton overlocker thread

    My white overlocker thread won't last much longer, so it's time to level up!

    This is my current polyester thread, a bargain at £6.68 for 4x5000m cones. I've just ordered ORGANIC COTTON OVERLOCKER THREAD (*insert choirs of angels and heavenly trumpets*) from the Organic Textile Company. It may have cost me a somewhat eye-watering £79.80 for the same 4x5000m cones, but I think it's well worth it for the upgrade of having every single part of my dresses made with organic cotton. 

    The four new cones will last me for several years, so on a per-dress basis it actually only costs a few pence more. I'm not far off making the dresses entirely organic now - a little bit more stash fabric to use up, and then I just have to wait for my black overlocker thread to run out so I can replace that with organic cotton too!

  4. eternal magpie happy customers: Tracy

    Say hello to Tracy, who is enjoying her cream cotton dress with embroidered bees! 

    After a false start in which I checked her order at least three times and then proceeded to sew up the dress in completely the wrong size (oops!) I eventually managed to get the correct dress all the way to Tracy's gorgeous craft shop on the Isle of Wight

    Having declared her new dress to be "the most comfortable thing I have ever worn", I'm thrilled to say that Tracy came straight back and ordered another one, so I'm looking forward to sharing more photos with you very soon.

    Tracy's new dress is going to be an "in-between" size that's not currently listed. Don't forget that I draft all the patterns and make all of the dresses individually by hand, so if you need a size that's different from the ones listed on the size chart, please don't be afraid to ask!